Monday, May 6, 2013

Assignment 1-4-6


      I chose to analyze Facebook for my topic analysis. The theories that seemed to relate the best to my topic were icons, cult of the celebrity, formulas and rituals. I would consider the social network is an icon of popular culture. Facebook has become one of the leading social networking sites in just a few years and it is versatile which makes it easy to be used by people of different ages, cultural and educational backgrounds. Businesses also use it to create a demand for their products through advertising.
      Many users on Facebook use the website because it gives them a false sense of being celebrities themselves. For example, posting pictures of events they went to on Facebook and having lots of comments on them can make them feel like they are constantly being watched by others and that other users have an interest in their lives. Users also get this false sensation of stardom by having as much friends as they can on Facebook to follow their every move.
      The social networking site depends on formulas to maintain its success and to keep on growing. Formulas working on the backend of the website make it possible for posts to become public, for people to be able to block other users, for birthday alerts to pop up exactly at the right day, etc. the creators of Facebook also used a formula to create the website i.e.- idea, growth and development of idea, innovation of idea, survival of idea.
      Every Facebook user has a ritualistic habit of checking their notifications, weather they do it before they go to bed at night or the first thing in the morning. Personally, when I was on Facebook, if I went to bed without checking my messages and notifications, I would wake up and go check it. It has become a part of the daily lives of a lot of its users to where they cannot function without it.
      I find it interesting that Facebook is actually a celebrity. The name sells the image, Mark Zuckerberg will always be known as the guy who created Facebook and it seems to me like the website is an even bigger celebrity than he is! After all of the analysis, I still think it was a brilliant idea and I am still a big fan of how it was created and all the determination and hard work that went into the creation process however, at the end of the day, my account is still deactivated and I have no intention of reactivating it any time soon. Of course I have nothing against Facebook; I just think that the way people are constantly glued to it is a waste of precious time. It is a good tool of communication for people that are too shy to communicate face-to-face however.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment