Saturday, April 20, 2013

Assignment 1-4-3


      Facebook has become one of the most popular social networking websites. It has a big influence over people’s lives and most businesses use it as a marketing tool
      I am not on Facebook anymore but when I was on Facebook, there were certain rituals I performed every day as a Facebook user. Some examples include checking my notification bar first thing in the morning and last thing at night before I went to bed to see if I had any new friend requests or any important notifications. This became such a routine habit for me that if I forgot to check my Facebook before bed, I would have to wake up, get out of bed and log into my Facebook account or reach for my phone and check it! Other actions I did routinely were logging into my account every morning and wishing my friends a “happy birthday” (which was a bad habit because unless Facebook alerted me, I would not know it was their birthday), I would routinely poke my friends back and forth and also post different things on their walls such as games or cards, all day long. If I went to an important event, the first thing I would do like clockwork, was upload the pictures on my Facebook page and tag my friends on it. I would also check my page numerous times a day to see if anyone has “liked” my pictures or if any of my friends had sent me an R.S.V.P to their events. Facebook also will automatically alert it’s users if any of their friends have had a change in their relationship status and it was a routine for me to comment on it to express my congratulations or my condolences every time I got a notification.
       As far as stereotypes go, Facebook users use stereotypes to choose who to send a friend request to and who not to as well as if they should accept or decline the request. For example, if a woman posts a picture of a beautiful “ideal” woman as her profile picture and people think it is her, she is very likely to have a lot of friend requests. The same way, if a Facebook user receives a friend request from someone they consider attractive, they will most likely accept the request. In a way, Facebook appeals to people’s visual sense because users are not communicating with each other  face-to-face so they are judged based on pictures, what they post and what kind of friends they have on their friend list. Another thing that people can use to judge others by is the device they use to make comments and posts, since Facebook will announce what kind of device (an iPhone, iPad or an android phone) is being used. People can use this to determine if you are part of the “in crown” that is up to date with all the “cool” stuff or if you are just an average person that they will have nothing in common with.
      My feelings on Facebook are still the same. I still think that it is a waste of valuable time but it can be a good tool for people who are shy to communicate and make friends. Businesses also use it to advertise their products and services and it is an important tool for public figures to create awareness about their views and beliefs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment