Thursday, April 11, 2013

Assignment 2-1


For this topic, I chose to analyze Oprah Winfrey, the Harry Potter film series and Smart-phones. Oprah is an American talk show host, actress, philanthropist, producer and business woman who has been active since 1983. The Harry Potter film series is a British film series based on the books written by author J.K. Rowling and Smartphones are mobile phones that are capable of more advanced functions than just a regular phone.
                              




Oprah has revolutionized the TV talk show industry. She has had a lot of influence in people’s lives because unlike most talk shows during the time she just started her talk show in 1986, she was not limiting her guests to celebrities but also invited regular people to her show to talk about real life issues. Oprah is an inspiration to all because she overcame a difficult childhood and managed to become one of the richest people in the United States. She manages to encourage people to improve themselves and stay positive about life and is constantly giving to the needy. Oprah was called, “arguably the world's most powerful woman" by CNN and Time.com, "arguably the most influential woman in the world" by the American Spectator, "one of the 100 people who most influenced the 20th Century" and "one of the most influential people" from 2004 to 2011 by TIME. Winfrey is the only person in the world to have appeared in the latter list on all eight occasions” (as cited from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oprah_Winfrey ). To me, Oprah Winfrey is an icon because she proves that no matter where you are from or the challenges you had to face in life, you can still end up as a success story if you keep moving forward, continue to work hard and have faith.



Courtesy of:



The Harry Potter film series has grown into an estimated $15 billion franchise over the course of 12 years. It has made the fantasy genre “cool” and not only that but modern day people that practice witchcraft can do so openly without fear of prosecution like in the olden days where people were burned at the stake if they were suspected to be witches. The Harry Potter book series has also encouraged people, especially high school kids to read more and build their imagination. The books also paved the way for producers and directors to welcome the idea of making young adult books into movies. To me personally, The Harry Potter books helped me build my imagination and improve my reading skills. The movies provided young adults with something educational as well as age appropriate to watch while shielding them from the vulgar things in life.



Courtesy of:


Smartphones have transformed society in many ways. Firstly, people are able to do almost anything with just one touch of a button. For example, I can check my account balance on my phone, play games, check my email, etc. In a few worlds, smartphones have made society more efficient and businesses can also use it as an advertising tool (for example the pop ups that you get while checking your email). Smartphones are such an important part of our popular culture that you can hardly walk down the street for one mile without seeing someone operating one. Even though this is a good thing, it has also diminished our communication skills, as people prefer to text nowadays rather than talk and kids rarely know how to spell properly because of this. To me personally, having a smartphone is extremely important because I use free applications such as Viber, Whatsapp and Skype to call and text my family members abroad while I'm on the go without having to be at my laptop or at home.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right about smartphones. My mother suggested that I go back to a flip phone (choking here) so that I could save some money on my monthly bill. I don't think that she realizes that they really don't make them too much anymore or that there is so much that we do on a daily basis on our phones that I truly would feel like I had lost my arm. Great information on Oprah and on the Harry Potter franchise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I know right.... It is a complete waste of money to have a smartphones considering all the extra things you pay for which you really don't need when you can just use a regular phone, but it will be suicide to be without a smartphone.

    ReplyDelete